Chicago School Bans Parents from Doing Their Job is more like it...

At dinner tonight my mom was telling me that she heard there was a school in Chicago that banned parents from sending packed lunches from home for their children. The principal said she would see children bringing junk food and soda for lunch and school trips and wanted to do something to force the kids to eat healthier. Now, the children have to eat the school lunch or, "go hungry".

Um, okay. As a parent I'd totally stand for that.

Being homeschooled almost all of my school-life, I have a broader take on issues like this. (Btw, I really want to thank my parents for raising me to question authority and believe strongly in my values…it's given me so much in life. Love you!)
A Little Village Academy student cringes at an enchilada dish served at his school. Many students throw away their entrees uneaten and say they would rather bring food from home. The school, though, does not allow students to bring in their own lunches, unless they have a medical condition or a food allergy. (Monica Eng, Chicago Tribune / February 17, 2011)










The point is, where is this all going to end?? The school is a public school. Paid for by the tax dollars of the people living in the community. In what world does it make sense that a principal's job is to look after every bite of food that goes into a students mouth? Not to mention that the food they are providing isn't actually healthy. Hot dogs and enchiladas? Apparently most of the students take the principal up on her offer to "go hungry". As if school didn't suck enough, now they can't even look forward to lunch.

Great job.

p.s.- The above statement was sarcasm. Just in case you didn't get that.

Reply to this post

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover